Play will be governed by ASA rules, except for certain NSFPL rules, designed to enhance safety, participation, sportsmanship and speed of play. Please note that the age cutoff is January 1. For example, a player who is 12 years old on January 1, 2017, is eligible to play in the 12-U age division for the entire calendar year.
The League will follow the Official ASA Playing Rules for 2017. Changes to the 2017 Rule Book will not be announced by the ASA until late November.
ASA rules call for a 7 inning game at all age levels.
Games may be shortened due to mercy rule or time.
NSFPL exceptions to the ASA rules:
- The dropped third strike rule will not be in use for 10U.
- Players may not be simultaneously on the rosters of two different teams within the same age group. Players may, however, be on the rosters of other age group teams within the same organization and may play on those teams without limitation, subject to age eligibility.
- All players present at the start of a game and eligible to play in that contest will be included in the batting order for the entire game. Eligible players not present at the start of the game will be added to the lineup in the last position in the batting order. Teams are entitled to free substitution at all defensive positions, including pitcher, for the entire game. If due to injury, a player needs to be removed from the lineup, their spot will be skipped with no out recorded unless the lineup now has only 8 players. In that case, the out will be recorded each time that lineup position come to bat.
- SAFETY: On-deck batters, while the batter is in the batter's box, must stand behind the batter, i.e., on the third base side when a right-handed batter is at the plate, and vice versa.
- No inning may begin more than 2 hours from the actual start of the game. For purposes of this rule, a new inning is deemed to start immediately after the home team has made the third out of an inning. This rule may be amended as needed (e.g. no lights) and should be discussed at the pre-game meeting with the umpires.
- A "run-ahead rule" of 15 runs after 5 innings will be in effect for games at all age levels. In addition, 10-U teams may score no more than 7 runs per at bat, regardless of the score in the game, visitors or home. (Exception: At 10U, if a team trails by more than 7 after the 5th inning, the 7 run limit is waived.)
- Tied games called due to the time limit, regardless of innings played, or called for any reason after 5 complete innings will be recorded as ties. For League standings, ties count as a half-game win and a half-game loss for each team.
- If a game is postponed or suspended due to inclement weather and cannot be rescheduled after best efforts from both coaches, the game will be recorded as "no contest."
- Games for the 2017 season must be played no later than Saturday, July 22, 2017, and must be reported by July 29, 2017.
- Final standings will be determined by winning percentage, computed as the total of wins (and fractional wins in the case of ties) divided by total games (excluding no contests).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR 10U BRACKET
DO WE FOLLOW ASA RULES? YES
WHAT SPECIAL RULES ARE THERE IN ASA THAT APPLY ONLY TO 10U
- --PITCHING DISTANCE IS 35 FEET
- --11" BALL FOR 10U FAST PITCH
- --BASERUNNING RULES ARE SAME AT 10U AS AT ALL OTHER AGES